On May 27th 1865 the conveyance took place of a piece of land and cottage for the building of a Primitive Methodist Chapel from Mr Edward Deeve of Lakenham: price £130.
The list of trustees in 1865 shows the kind of people who formed the first congregation. They included farmer labourers from both Barney and Fulmodeston, a shepherd from Fulmodeston and a labourer, butcher, baker, hawker and shoemaker from surrounding villages. Three had to sign with a cross as they couldn’t write their names.
The chapel was extended in 1902. Like other Primitive Methodist Chapels it was closely linked with rising aspirations of rural trade unions. Horace Howell (1853-1940) a small farmer and member of the chapel was a local preacher for 65 of his 87 yrs. He was also branch secretary of the Walsingham District of the National Agricultural Workers Union.
Link to a biography of Mr J S Mantripp